Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The "Diane Keaton"

When I finished writing my master's thesis, my dearest friend re-christened the "French 75" (1) in my honour as the "Diane Keaton." The name stemmed from an earlier conversation about my tendency to dress, to varying degrees (both to my advantage and my detriment) in a manner that could only be described as Keaton-esque. It seemed only fitting to carry the name over to my signature beverage:

2 oz. Gin (or Cognac)
1/2 oz. simple syrup (or 1 tsp. very fine sugar)
1 oz. lemon juice
Champagne or sparkling wine

Combine gin, sugar, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice. Shake vigorously and strain into two iced Champagne flutes (or scotch glasses with crushed ice). Fill with Champagne or sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon twist.

1. The "French 75" was invented by French-American WWI pilot Raoul Lufbery, who believed champagne cocktails required more kick, as in the kick of a French 75mm field gun. Mr. Lufbery's second claim to fame was having a pet lion named Whiskey.