Friday, April 22, 2011

So sentimental



Words cannot express how much I adore Phoenix. They remind me of such wonderful occasions in my life, of summer, of romance, of accomplishment, of staying up all night. I have had an over ten-year love affair with this band, and when I see a video such as this I just think about how unbearably special a moment like this is for these onlookers.

Lately I have been thinking a great deal about the special, in particular about certain individuals or points in time that cannot be explained or repeated. My head spins at the thought of what forces in the universe align to create such captivating personalities and experiences. While on one level it may be disheartening to think that despite your ambition and your drive, you probably will not be special, in that Beatles-Nelson Mandela-J.D. Salinger kind of way. But on another level, it is incredibly comforting to know that you shouldn't be expected to, that it is almost better to just be a witness to the extraordinary.