Thursday, April 21, 2011

Worth Waiting For


There has been much buzz about Gabrielle Hamilton's culinary memoir, Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef (2011), and today I finally got my grubby hands on a copy. I have only read the first few sentences and it is already pulling me out of my current fiction doldrums. After listening to an interview with Hamilton on an earlier episode of The Splendid Table, I was certain this book would not disappoint. Hamilton, owner of the acclaimed New York restaurant, Prune, is dry and honest, and through her even tone and a charming smattering of curses, her respect and love for her profession is evident. She cooks in a manner that is intensely personal, and I would expect no less from this memoir. Hamilton is a refreshing personality amongst "celebrity" chefs, and I cannot wait to read her journey from rural Pennsylvania to France, from Greece to New York, and from the brink of devastation back to the kitchen.