Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mambo!














I had been looking forward to seeing the Vancouver Opera do West Side Story for weeks now, thinking how incredible it would be to watch the musical unfold live on stage. And while last night's performance was entertaining - the colour, the famed choreography, Leonard Bernstein's wonderful score - I found my mind often wandering to the original film, a movie which I admittedly watched with religious fervour as a kid.














Perhaps something about this live show seemed too operatic, too stiff, too performed? One of the greatest strengths of the 1961 film, in my opinion, is how visceral it feels, even fifty years later.

The performances are incredible (seriously, how can anyone compete with Rita Moreno?)
















Time to watch it again.