We are currently enjoying a wonderful autumn here on the West Coast, one that makes up for our lackluster summer. Beyond the apple picking and the pumpkin patches, there is so much to look forward to this season!
- Molasses - The colder air always makes me think of molasses and the warm spicy treats it creates. This season is the perfect excuse to begin a healthy gingerbread diet that lasts at least until the spring.
- Knits, in particular bulky scarves and wooly socks.
- Laurie Colwin's Homecooking and Joan Didion's Blue Nights.
- Buttermilk - Oatmeal pancakes, biscuits, scones, cake! That sour smell of buttermilk is perhaps one of the most intoxicating aromas around.
- Leaves, leaves, leaves!
- Boots, with everything.
- Mittens, in particular my new green leather pair. I don't care what all you glove lovers say, mittens just make sense.
- Homemade apple maple butter.
- Nature walks that include family dogs but do not require hiking shoes.