Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Birthday Time



















My 32nd birthday is just around the corner. I'm not the biggest fan of parties, hosting things, or drawing attention to myself, but there are a few things I always (almost always) do to make the day memorable (most revolving around food).

1) Don't work! This is a no-brainer. Why would you go to work on your birthday? If my birthday falls on a weekend, as it does this year, I take the Friday off!

2) Sleep in. There is nothing more decadent in the winter months than this.

3) Go out for a decadent brunch. Eggs, bacon, hollandaise, strong coffee.

4) Follow this up with breakfast-dessert: doughnuts or cupcakes.

5) If it happens to be a sunny day, bundle up and go for a refreshing bike ride.

5) Regardless of the weather, go to a matinee. This is my favourite thing in the whole world to do. Eat popcorn and Junior Mints. I'm thinking A Dangerous Method.

6) Buy a bunch of favourite magazines and read them while lying on the floor and listening to records.

7) Go out for an amazing dinner - for me this usually means Italian. Warm, comforting pasta, red wine, burrata, olive oil, cracked pepper....amazing.