Thursday, March 15, 2012

5 days and counting.


Spring is near! Even though the first few days of Spring Forward are always painful, that extra hour of daylight (or in today's case, sunlight) is a welcome reward for those grumpy mornings. The feverish energy is building and it seems everyone on the street is sporting a smile and feeling, dare I say, a bit bold. Case in point: this evening at the grocery store while I was trying to select a jar of pickles, a fellow passing by said to me, "I can tell you are a pickle lover." It's strange what a shift in a few degrees will do to a city smothered in clouds.

Despite this bizarre encounter I am still eager and excited for this new season. Some reasons to get jazzed about spring:
  • Wedge and stacked heels with no tights
  • Liberty print blouses and longer hemline skirts
  • Rhubarb
  • Trench coats
  • 3/4 length sleeves
  • New plants and the start of herb gardens on the deck
  • Strawberry and lemon sorbet
  • Rose wine
  • The return of the bicycle
  • Scarves, scarves, scarves (this is true of any season, really)
  • Cashmere cardigans and the magic of layering
  • Listening to Give Me Just a Little More Time on repeat
This weekend I have a date with some lemon cream cheese buns, tea, and the Sunday New York Times, followed by some closet cleaning. I cannot think of a better activity to usher in the spring.