Sunday, April 8, 2012

16 years later, still dirty.



This weekend I attended a surprise birthday party on a boat. As the sun set, countless glasses of vodka soda and gin and tonic were consumed and the dance floor was bustling. And, without fail, as soon as the crowd heard the opening notes of Ginuwine's Pony (1996), things got dirty.

In high school the song was appropriately crude. It was brash and certainly not sweet, a quality that was appealing to jerk teenagers in need of some messy makeouts. By university, it was hot. I wish I could say it was sexy but looking back at those Friday nights spent at disgusting dance clubs I can only remember being sweaty and reckless with my body, in the way that people in their early twenties are prone to be. There was nothing sensual about your clothes smelling like cigarettes and grinding.

So what is the song now, years later, at a thirtieth birthday party? Does it feel risque? Is it dated and dare I say, tame? I am happy (?) to report that after all these years the song is, unsurprisingly, still dirty. The dozens of thirty-something hips gesturing towards each other proved this. But maybe it finally felt a bit sexier this time around. Maybe it was the yacht and the full moon. Or maybe it was the absence of body issues and poor decisions.

ps.
I had to listen to this song 4 times during the writing of this post, you know, to get into the mood.