Monday, April 23, 2012

The greatest shade of yellow.



I woke up the other morning after having the most magnificent dream. I had gone through a strange journey through my hometown at sunset, with every building and field reflecting the most beautiful golden light; a light that is at its most brilliant in the middle of summer in the prairies. I could practically feel the warmth of the setting sun against my skin as I floated down the gravel roads, staring at the old familiar houses. A few new buildings, townhouses of some kind, replaced some of the structures I remembered, and I felt sad at the idea of this town changing, moving further out of my reach and out of my memory. Despite this, I felt calmed by the bright red and yellow hues of the whole scene, and when I awoke I was relaxed, nostalgic, and content.

I very rarely dream of where I grew up. The handful of kids I went to elementary, middle school, and subsequently high school with occasionally appear in my sleep, but the town itself is but an abstraction. Since moving over ten years ago I have not returned very often, every few weekends the first year I moved away and less frequently every year after that. By the time my parents had retired and moved out of the town in 2009 I had not been back in several years, visiting only for a final send-off as my parents packed up their belongings and moved out of the little green and white house that would never be my home again.



I had my first kiss in the brush behind those trees during a game of truth, dare, double dare.


As kids we once found a gross used condom on the sand near these swings.


Bargains & Deals used to be a gas station/video rental/convenience store. It was located just behind my house and in the summer I would often walk over with a few coins to buy a handful of puffy pink marshmallows.


This was the view from our living room window.